We are looking for an experienced senior lawyer to join our Corporate and Finance team in Guernsey where you can expect a varied working day, providing legal advice relating to financing, corporate and commercial law, general financial services, insurance and reinsurance.
Our hand-picked legal team has earned a reputation for offering technical expertise coupled with commercial awareness and an understanding of our clients' desire for prompt response times and a solution-oriented service.
Purpose of the role
To take principal charge of work assignments, with minimal partner intervention. This will entail extensive direct client contact, being responsible for the supervision of junior legal assistant(s) and taking an active role in the identification and implementation of new business initiatives.
To work with the Partners to grow the business by assisting with the development and implementation of the Group’s strategic plans for the particular work area
Given the nature of the practice we need a generalist with solid technical skills, a client centric and commercial approach and the ability to think on their feet.
As well as working on high quality transactions and being an integral member of the team, you will enjoy a client-facing role and a working environment that is open, friendly and collegiate.
We could be flexible on location and would consider candidates who wish to be based in Guernsey or London.
- To take responsibility for the management and co-ordination of client work as delegated by the Partners.
- To manage risk exposure in accordance with the firm's policies and procedures.
- To ensure all clients receive a high quality, timely and professional service to meet their needs.
- To delegate to and actively supervise the work of more junior staff as appropriate.
- To assist as required with the motivation, management and development of other fee earners and support staff in the work area.
- To support the Partners in building an efficient team structure (this may include involvement in recruitment).
- Promote and strengthen the Bedell brand.
- Within the Group’s strategy, contribute as required to the development and implementation of the firm's business development plans, with the aim of attracting more work from existing clients and developing new client relationships.
- Support new ventures, identify cross selling opportunities and seek ways to develop our services.
- Take responsibility for a range of non-chargeable activities to build the firm's know-how and external reputation through seminars/writing of articles/presentations etc.
- Take personal responsibility for achieving target hours, proactively manage billings and debtors and record time in a consistent way.
- 6 years+ PQE with a UK/Commonwealth qualification
- Knowledge of insurance and/or regulatory experience would be beneficial but not essential
- A keen interest in all facets of corporate and financial law with the willingness to learn and expand knowledge into new areas.
- Strong technical ability.
- Business development experience
- Some delegation and supervisory experience.
- The ability to prioritise and manage time effectively.
- The ability to communicate effectively with peers, staff and clients.
- A client centric approach.
- Strong self-motivation and drive.
- A solution driven attitude to problems.
- The ability to instil confidence in partners, peers and clients.
- A positive and optimistic attitude.
- The ability to work collegiately and be an effective team player.
- Sound judgement and strong commercial awareness.
In this role you will be expected to:
- Behave in a manner in keeping with our core culture and values.
- Adhere to all policies, procedures and regulations including those around anti-money laundering and terrorist financing.
- Commit to continually developing your skills and knowledge.