Ian joined Bedell Cristin (formerly Solomon Harris) in 2008 and became a partner in 2012. Prior to this he worked for a number of onshore law firms, including Eversheds. He also worked for another leading offshore law firm in the BVI for four years where he focused on banking and corporate law as well as Caribbean property matters.
Ian's main area of expertise is all types of real estate, with significant experience in hotel transactions. He is also highly experience in banking finance, conveyancing, development work and commercial and residential leasing.
Ranked in band 1 by Chambers and partners, Ian leads a highly efficient and client-focused team that was responsible for the largest real estate deal in the history of the Cayman Islands. The team has acted in six of the last eight major hotel transactions, including the first acquisition of a hotel in the Cayman Islands by a Japanese REIT.
- Solicitor* - England & Wales
- Solicitor* - BVI
- Attorney at law - Cayman Islands
- Member of the drafting committee for the changes to the strata titles registration law and was responsible for reviewing and amending the initial draft of this legislation
- Ian has also contributed to a number of publications and briefings
- 'Leading individual' - Legal 500 Caribbean 2019
- 'Leader in their field' - Chambers Global 2018
- Project Finance Deal of the Year - IFLA - 2012
- Lead Cayman counsel on the acquisition and subsequent sale of the Westin Hotel, Grand Cayman
- Headed legal counsel team on the acquisition of the Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman
- Lead Cayman counsel on the acquisition and subsequent sale of the Sunshine Suites, Grand Cayman
- Lead counsel on the sale of the Grand Caymanian/Holiday Inn, Grand Cayman
Real estate finance specialist Ian Jamieson is 'very commercial, knowledgeable and helpful'.Legal 500 2017
Responsive, sensible and pragmatic in his advice as well as being very strong on industry knowledge.Legal 500 Caribbean 2019
A Special Notice published by the Cayman Islands Department of Commerce and Investment (‘DCI’) informs Real Estate Agents and Property Developers that under the Anti-Money Laundering (Designated Non-Financial Business and Professions) (Amendment) (No.2) Reg...
Three lawyers from the real estate team of Solomon Harris, now part of Bedell Cristin, will speak at the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) 2019 Cayman Islands Property and Construction Conference on Friday 15 March.
The Stamp Duty (Amendment) Law, 2018 (‘Law’) came into effect on 19 December 2018 introducing Stamp Duty on ‘Linked Property Transactions’ from 31 December 2019.
In a significant alteration to draft legislation, the Cayman Islands Stamp Duty (Amendment) Law 2018 (‘Law') allows developers with planning permission in place by 30 June 2019 to have a year to take advantage of the pre-existing regime for stamp duty on ‘l...
Legal 500 has released its 2019 Caribbean Guide, and partners Laura Hatfield and Ian Jamieson have been named as leading individuals.
The Cayman Islands Government has good news for those Caymanians looking to buy their first homes in the Cayman Islands.