Nancy has extensive experience in a wide range of offshore matters in both the private client area as well as the corporate sphere. In the private client context, Nancy advises ultra-high net worth families, family offices and intermediaries on all aspects of private client structuring including the use of trusts and foundations, as well as related corporate law issues (including where such vehicles are used for philanthropic purposes). She has considerable experience with high value and complex structures which enable the clients to retain a degree of control over their family assets and achieve effective succession planning.
In the corporate area, Nancy is one of the only Jersey lawyers with specific experience in pensions and employee incentive arrangements (having previously worked for Ashurst in London). She is the chairperson of the Jersey Pensions Association and is working closely with the Jersey government to enhance Jersey's offering of end of service gratuity plans and international savings vehicles.
Nancy also has considerable experience in regulatory matters affecting offshore vehicles and service providers, including FATCA, the common reporting standard (CRS) and data protection.
She is fluent in English, Mandarin Chinese and Taiwanese.
What her clients say:
"She's one of the best lawyers in Jersey."
"Nancy is outstanding, she is very, very good advising on Jersey and BVI law."
- Advocate - Jersey
- Solicitor - England & Wales (non-practising)
- Barrister - New Zealand
- Solicitor - British Virgin Islands
- STEP (Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners) Member
Areas of Expertise
- Member of the International pensions working group in Jersey.
- Chairman of the Jersey Pensions Association.
- 'IWD 2019 Transatlantic Selection' - Citywealth Leaders List 2019
- 'Top 20 Professionals' - Citywealth Leaders List 2019
- 'Up and Coming Lawyer' – Chambers 2018
- 'Leading Lawyers' category and 'IFC Powerwomen Top 200' category - 2018, 2017 Citywealth Leaders List
- 'Next generation lawyers' - Legal 500 2018 and 2017
- 'Prominent Figure' in the 'Leading Lawyers' category - Citywealth Leaders List
- Lawyer of the Year IFC - Partner - Nancy Chien - Citywealth Future Leaders Awards
- Jersey Future Leaders List - Citywealth
Highly intelligent and at the top of her game
She is pragmatic and can take commercial views which benefit clients. She is also very good at spotting risks and understanding key factors which arise
Chambers and Partners
Nancy Chien has a good reputation with the local and international market and is a very safe pair of hands