Nancy is head of Bedell Cristin's International Private Client practice in Jersey.
Nancy has extensive experience in a wide range of offshore matters in both the private client area as well as the corporate sphere. In the private client context, Nancy advises ultra-high net worth families, family offices and intermediaries on all aspects of private client structuring including the use of trusts and foundations, as well as related corporate law issues (including where such vehicles are used for philanthropic purposes). She has considerable experience with high value and complex structures which enable the clients to retain a degree of control over their family assets and achieve effective succession planning.
In the corporate area, Nancy is one of the only Jersey lawyers with specific experience in pensions and employee incentive arrangements (having previously worked for Ashurst in London). She is the chairperson of the Jersey Pensions Association and is working closely with the Jersey government to enhance Jersey's offering of end of service gratuity plans and international savings vehicles.
Nancy also has considerable experience in regulatory matters affecting offshore vehicles and service providers, including FATCA, the common reporting standard (CRS) and economic substance.
She is fluent in English, Mandarin Chinese and Taiwanese.
What her clients say:
"She's one of the best lawyers in Jersey."
"Nancy is outstanding, she is very, very good advising on Jersey and BVI law."
- Advocate - Jersey
- Solicitor - England & Wales (non-practising)
- Barrister - New Zealand
- Solicitor - British Virgin Islands
- STEP (Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners) Member
Areas of Expertise
- Chairperson of the Jersey Pensions Association
- Member of the technical committee STEP Jersey
- 'Top 50 Most Influential List' - Eprivateclient 2021
- 'Leading Individuals' - Legal 500 2021, 2020
- 'Next Generation Lawyers' - Legal 500 2019, 2018 and 2017
- 'IWD 2019 Transatlantic Selection' - Citywealth Leaders List 2019
- 'Top 20 Professionals' - Citywealth Leaders List 2019
- 'Up and Coming Lawyer' – Chambers 2018
- 'Leading Lawyers' category and 'IFC Powerwomen Top 200' category - 2018, 2017 Citywealth Leaders List
- 'Prominent Figure' in the 'Leading Lawyers' category - Citywealth Leaders List
- Lawyer of the Year IFC - Partner - Nancy Chien - Citywealth Future Leaders Awards
- Jersey Future Leaders List - Citywealth
Nancy Chien is an exceptionally diligent and knowledgeable Partner. She has knowledge across a number of areas that we find very helpful, particularly pensions and savings plans. In addition her international contacts have helped us progress projects that may have otherwise stalled. Nancy is knowledgeable, efficient, pragmatic and very pleasant to deal with.
Legal 500 UK
She is pragmatic and can take commercial views which benefit clients. She is also very good at spotting risks and understanding key factors which arise.
Chambers and Partners
She has a vast array of skills and experience covering many legal areas. She also has genuine multi-jurisdictional capability which is a huge asset to clients and intermediaries that work with her
Chambers and Partners HNW
Bedell Cristin's growing international private client team is recognised in Chambers High Net Worth rankings
29 July 2021
Bedell Cristin expands its international private client team to meet client demand
04 June 2021
Bedell Cristin recognised as top offshore law firm by eprivateclient for fourth year running
27 May 2021