27 October 2021
Bedell Cristin is pleased to announce that Joanne Verbiesen, Partner in our Singapore office, will be a speaker at the STEP Contentious Trusts and Estates, Special Interests Group (SIG) webinar on 2 November, 2021.
The webinar entitled 'A tangled Web – Untangling the Privy Council decision in Webb –v- Webb', raises a number of fundamental issues that are likely to significantly impact the trust industry such as:
- Can a revocable trust ever be valid following the reasoning of the Court in Webb?
- Would the outcome have been the same in jurisdictions with reserved powers legislation?
- In the age of global cooperation on taxation, does the rule in Governor of India v Taylor really still prevent the enforcement of foreign tax debts?
- If so, what impact does this have on trustee's ability to pay foreign tax debts?
- How can the laws relating to trusts be reconciled with matrimonial property law?
As a decision of the Privy Council it is likely to gain significance offshore and has already been applied to the Cayman Islands.
To register for this webinar please click here.