04 December 2023Read more
Rob is head of Bedell Cristin's litigation team. He is a very experienced commercial litigator and insolvency specialist. He joined the firm in 2006 following a successful 10 year career working for 2 large City of London law firms and a 5 year stint at a leading offshore law firm in Cayman, during which time he was also admitted to the bar of the British Virgin Islands. He is now based in our London office, although continues his work as a full time Jersey advocate (having been admitted to the Jersey Bar in 2011).
He is involved in a broad range of commercial litigation, particularly shareholder disputes and litigation involving trusts and is regularly involved in assisting with applications by trustees and beneficiaries including in relation to rectification, mistake and the rule in Hastings-Bass.
On the insolvency side he also works closely with insolvency practitioners in Jersey and elsewhere. He regularly advises companies, directors, shareholders, creditors and insolvency office holders on all aspects of contentious and non-contentious insolvency and restructuring work, particularly where there is a cross border element. Current or recent insolvency work includes acting for liquidators in the court winding up of a Jersey corporate group owning valuable real estate in Jersey; acting on a novel and contested letter of request application; acting for the company and thereafter the liquidators of a significant listed Jersey technology company; representing the liquidators of a football gambling platform.
- Advocate - Jersey
- Solicitor - England & Wales (non-practising)
- Attorney-at-law - Cayman Islands (non-practising)
- Solicitor - British Virgin Islands
- 'Leading Individuals' - Legal 500 UK 2023, 2022, 2021
- Band 2 'Leader in their field'- Chambers UK, Europe and Global 2023
- Band 3 'Leader in their field' - Chambers UK, Europe and Global 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019
- Private Client Global Elite - 2023, 2022
- 'Highly regarded' in restructuring and insolvency - IFLR1000 2022, 2021, 2020
- 'Honours List' in the 'Leading Lawyers' category - 2015 Citywealth Leaders List
- Editor of the IOD Guidelines for Jersey Directors (6th Edition, 2023)
Rob Gardner is a font of knowledge when it comes to Jersey Insolvency law and he is an engaging thoughtful individual who can be humorous in the face of adversity.
Legal 500 UK
I have been engaging with Robert Gardner of Bedell Cristin as a legal advisor for our case. It has been a very good experience and he has been very helpful and understanding of my situation. He provides me with great confidence with his understanding of my situation, analytical and communication skills, dedication and integrity.
Robert Gardner is a superstar in the Jersey insolvency sphere. He knows his stuff and speaks to his clients in an engaging manner.
He's very hard-working, gives very reasoned advice and is a very nice person to work with.
Chambers and Partners