Laura is head of the Litigation and Insolvency & Restructuring groups in the Cayman Islands. She focuses on bankruptcy, restructuring, investor rights, fiduciary duties in corporate governance and professional negligence.
Laura has advised bankruptcy and restructuring professionals, lenders, investors and professional services providers in the Cayman Islands, USA and Europe and has been involved in most of the significant cases of the last decade in the Cayman Islands including Bear Stearns, Weavering and the precedent setting cases establishing the basis for corporate liquidation based on the just and equitable grounds for failure of a company’s purpose when a fund is in run off. As well as litigation up to Privy Council level, Laura has used alternative dispute resolution methods to conclude disputes and has been involved in several mediated settlements.
- Attorney-at-law - Cayman Islands
- Solicitor - England & Wales (non-practising)
Areas of Expertise
- Chairperson IWIRC Cayman 2018-2019
- Organising Committee for ABI Caribbean Insolvency Symposium
- Frequent speaker at the ABI Caribbean and Latin America conference and is a regular speaker at various Cayman Islands events.
- Provided expert opinions on various aspects of Cayman Islands law for use in US Court proceedings.
- International Who’s Who for Asset Recovery
- 'Leader in their field' - Chambers Global 2018
- 'Leading individual' - Legal 500 Caribbean 2019
Head of litigation Laura Hatfield is recognised as "a very fine lawyer with solid experience in this field." She has a well-established disputes practice with significant expertise in banking and insolvency litigation. A source enthused: "She has worked on many serious cases and has always conducted herself very well
Chambers and Partners
Cayman Islands Scheme of Arrangement: What Affected Creditors and/or Shareholders should know
20 November 2020
Is it is or is it ain't US Property? Review of claims traded with non-US Insolvent Entity as an asset sale under section 363(b) of the US Bankruptcy Code
25 September 2020
In a nutshell: Cayman Islands' Economic Substance Law
12 May 2020