Laura is head of the Litigation, Regulatory and Insolvency & Restructuring groups in the Cayman Islands.
Laura has extensive experience in acting for a variety of corporate clients and individuals focusing on commercial litigation, insolvency and restructuring, licensing and other regulatory matters. Clients are based in the Cayman Islands, USA and Europe and include Big Four Accountancy Practices, Hotels, Retail Stores, entities in the Funds and Insurance sectors and Statutory and Regulatory bodies.
Many matters in which Laura has been involved have a multi-jurisdiction component.
Over 30 years of work both as a solicitor in London and as a Cayman Islands attorney at law has provided Laura with extensive experience of taking disputes ranging across company law, professional negligence claims, governance advice, licensing and other regulatory issues to court but also the use of alternative dispute resolution, such as mediation and arbitration.
- Attorney-at-law - Cayman Islands
- Solicitor - England & Wales (non-practising)
Areas of Expertise
- Chairperson IWIRC Cayman 2018-2019
- Organising Committee for ABI Caribbean Insolvency Symposium
- Frequent speaker at the ABI Caribbean and Latin America conference and is a regular speaker at various Cayman Islands events.
- Provided expert opinions on various aspects of Cayman Islands law for use in US Court proceedings.
- International Who’s Who for Asset Recovery
- 'Leading individual' - Legal 500 Caribbean 2021, 2020, 2019
- Band 3 - Chambers Global 2021, 2020
- 'Leader in their field' - Chambers Global 2018
Head of litigation Laura Hatfield is recognised as "a very fine lawyer with solid experience in this field." She has a well-established disputes practice with significant expertise in banking and insolvency litigation. A source enthused: "She has worked on many serious cases and has always conducted herself very well."
Chambers and Partners
She works well under pressure, a calming influence