Sonia joined the firm in March 2016 from a legal firm in London. Her practice involves advising leading onshore law firms, fiduciaries and high net worth individuals in relation to trust, commercial, insolvency and regulatory matters. She acts for trustees and beneficiaries alike in contentious and non-contentious matters with an international element. She regularly assists with complex applications and trial work before the Royal Court and Court of Appeal in Jersey.
Sonia is part of the Bedell Cristin team which acts for the successful Plaintiffs, Cristiana Crociani and her daughters, in Crociani v Crociani, a $200 million breach of trust claim which has been before the Royal Court and Court of Appeal in Jersey and the Privy Council.
Sonia obtained a BSc in Mathematics at Durham University and subsequently undertook the Graduate Diploma in Law and the Legal Practice Course at BPP Law School in London. Sonia completed her training contract at a London firm, before relocating to Jersey. She completed the STEP Diploma in International Trust Management with Distinction in 2020 and has recently completed her Jersey law exams in order to qualify as an advocate.
- Solicitor - England & Wales (non-practising)
- Advocate - Jersey
- Civil Higher Rights of Audience - England & Wales
- Contentious Trusts Associates (ConTrA)
- TEP - (Trust and Estates Practitioner)
- Private Client Global Elite - Rising Leader - 2023, 2022
- Future Leaders Top 100 - Citywealth Leaders List 2019
- 'Channel Islands Top 35 Under 35' - eprivateclient 2022, 2021, 2020 and 2019
- 'Rising Stars' - Legal 500 UK 2023, 2022, 2021
- 'UK & Crown Dependencies Top 35 under 35' – eprivateclient 2022, 2021 and 2020
- 'Associates to watch' – Chambers UK and Global 2023, 2022 and 2021
- STEP Excellence Award - 2021
Sonia Shah is a simply superb senior associate who is always on top of the cases she is working on.
She's brilliant; she's good at explaining things to the client and has their confidence.
Chambers and Partners