Sonia joined the firm in March 2016 from a legal firm in London. Her practice involves advising leading onshore law firms, fiduciaries and high net worth individuals in relation to trust, commercial, insolvency and regulatory matters. She acts for trustees and beneficiaries alike in contentious and non-contentious matters with an international element. She regularly assists with complex applications and trial work before the Royal Court and Court of Appeal in Jersey.
Sonia is part of the Bedell Cristin team which acts for the successful Plaintiffs, Cristiana Crociani and her daughters, in Crociani v Crociani, a $200 million breach of trust claim which has been before the Royal Court and Court of Appeal in Jersey and the Privy Council.
Sonia obtained a BSc in Mathematics at Durham University and subsequently undertook the Graduate Diploma in Law and the Legal Practice Course at BPP Law School in London. Sonia completed her training contract at a London firm, before relocating to Jersey. She completed the STEP Diploma in International Trust Management with Distinction in 2020 and is currently studying for the Jersey law exams in order to qualify as an advocate.
- Solicitor* - England & Wales
- Civil Higher Rights of Audience - England and Wales
- Contentious Trusts Associates (ConTrA)
- STEP (Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners) Member
Areas of Expertise
- Future Leaders Top 100 - Citywealth Leaders List 2019
- 'Channel Islands Top 35 Under 35' - eprivateclient 2020 and 2019
- 'Rising Stars' - Legal 500, 2021
- 'UK & Crown Dependencies Top 35 under 35' – eprivate client 2020
- Associates to watch – Chambers and Partners, 2021
Sonia Shah is a simply superb senior associate who is always on top of the cases she is working on
Privy Council rules on trust jurisdiction clauses: Crociani & O'rs v Crociani & O'rs  UKPC 40
26 November 2014
Court of Appeal in Jersey orders first ever interim payment on account of costs
14 July 2014
Landmark ruling on trust jurisdiction clauses: Crociani, Foortse, BNP Paribas Jersey Trust Corporation Ltd & Appleby Trust (Mauritius) Ltd v Crociani & Others  JCA 089
09 April 2014